Herne C of E Juniors follow a progressive scheme of work developed in our school. We work very closely with our local primary schools and have strong links with Herne Bay High, purchasing their support package to compete in Level 1, 2 and 3 competitions in our area. This package also provides us with quality CPD training for leading staff and subsidises our Bikeability training. It is funded through our Sports Premium.
We are extremely fortunate to have a specialist sports coach, who provides quality lessons to our children and enhances our CPD training for all teaching staff.
Units of work firstly teach individual skills, such as throwing, catching, bowling and rolling. Next children apply these skills in small game situations or short sequence. Finally children have the opportunity to perform these skills as part of a sequence or tactic within a game or performance. Intra-school competitions support our learning further in a fun and engaging way.
All through lessons children are encouraged to consider why exercise is a necessity of everyday life and to evaluate their own and others performances.
We have multiple cross curricular links with the new RSHE objectives, which provide our children with a strong understanding of the importance of being both physically and mentally healthy.
· We provide our children with 2 hours of PE per week.
· OAA – Outdoor Adventure Activity – work is covered in our Friday PE sessions and we do 2 hours of this in a term.
· Every class swims for 6 sessions per year.
· Term 6, Week 7 swimming will be a free fun session for all children who achieve 100% attendance for the year.
· Assessment data in the form of one dance, one gymnastics, one games and one athletics assessment is submitted per year.
· Our Woodland School further supports our curriculum.
· Year 6 Camp in Term 6 heavily supports our OAA objectives.